Thursday, April 30, 2009

D's Raw Food Detox

From travelingcupcake.blogspot.com

I'm a little piggy. My buddy Kit lovingly calls me a fatty. I think we've all got a little fat kid inside.

I don't diet. And I don't portion control. Which means once in awhile, I start bloating up like beached whale. Whales are cute because they're round. Me? Not so much.

This is where raw food detox comes in. I started doing it about 3 years ago, and it's super simple. It goes like this:

1/2 cup of fiber cereal in the morning with soy milk (recipe below)
all the fresh fruits, vegetables and nuts you like throughout the day
1/2 cup of fiber cereal in the evening with soy milk
8 glasses of water throughout the day

The problem with a lot of cleanses is that (1) if you do a store-bought detox, the pills and fiber drinks can be harsh on your stomach and body, and (2) you're so damn hungry all the time.

One year, I tried a co-worker's 24-hour fast, lasted about 7 hours, felt starved and wanted to eat my own face. Another time I tried the lemonade/cayenne pepper/maple syrup thing. That sure tasted bad, so I dumped it, too. Suffice it to say, I'm not a great candidate for cleansing.

What I like about this detox is that you're not starving yourself. Mostly it's the nuts-- it helps keep you full. Also, this particular detox utilizes all-natural fiber to help aid digestion. And you're not limited as to what fresh fruits and vegetables you can eat (some cleanses forbid bananas or tropical fruit, etc.).

Pretty much, you're eating a vegan raw food diet for a week to cleanse yourself of all the meat, dairy and processed foods that tend to weigh down a person's system.

Cons include headaches for the first day or two and regular (VERY regular) bowel movements.

Bonuses include feeling lighter, having more energy and (for many) glowing skin and hair.

There are tons of raw food recipes online. So you can mix up your diet. Just be careful with the salt. And here are some great raw cookbooks:

Raw Food Made Easy
Ani's Raw Food Kitchen
The Complete Book of Raw Food

And, of course, if you live in a city where there are raw food restaurants, you can still go out to eat! Last week I went to Pure Food in Gramercy and had an oyster mushroom "scallop" that was to die for. You can check out this raw food directory for a complete listing on detox-friendly restaurants.

If you like the cleanse, let me know! And if you have tips on how to improve it, please share!

Happy noshin',
The Traveling Cupcake



RECIPE: FIBER CEREAL (courtesy my buddy alexia)
1 cup wheat bran
1 cup oat bran
1 cup milled flax seed
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 cup dried fruit (blueberries, cranberries, whatever you like)

1 comment:

  1. Did you lose any weight while on the cleanse and can you workout while on cleanse. Thanks Nicole

    ReplyDelete